People are reluctant to go the dentist for many reasons but tooth extractions is usually what keeps people up at night. It is generally assumed that tooth removal is extremely painful because of the horror stories spread about it. In reality, this is a routine dental procedure that many people go through and a simple tooth extraction process causes nothing but a minor discomfort to the patient.
Here is all that you need to know about this dental process:
The Process Is Pretty Simple
A simple tooth removal process starts with the use of local anesthesia. It numbs the tooth; thus, the patient feels no pain during the process. An elevator, a dental instrument with a blunt tip, is used to detach the ligament fibers. These fibers are responsible for attaching the tooth to their socket.
Once the fibers have been detached, the dentist will select the appropriate forceps in order to remove the tooth. After this process is completed, the dentist ensures that no leftover roots remain there in the mouth and the tooth has been removed entirely. Furthermore, the dentist also makes sure that no damage is caused to teeth on either side. In case of wisdom tooth removal, the patient may require stitches after it has been removed.
This whole process can take anywhere 5 to 30 minutes.
What To Do After You Have a Tooth Removed
After you have a tooth removed, it will take a little time for the socket where the tooth has been extracted to heal.
It is advised to follow these aftercare tips to ensure the healing process goes smoothly and quickly:
- When the extraction process is complete, the patient is advised against lying down immediately as it can result in bleeding. Patients must keep their head elevated; for this purpose, they can use pillows.
- Do not rinse your mouth the first day. On the second day, patients are advised to rinse gently. They can use mild antiseptic rinsing solutions or normal saline water for this purpose.
- For smokers, it is suggested to not smoke for few days.
- Avoid chewing on the extraction site for a minimum period of 24 hours. It is advised to use the other side of the mouth for chewing food.
- Do not touch the wound with your fingers.
- Have a soft diet and avoid hot food items.
- Dentists recommend patients avoid brushing their teeth near the site where the tooth was removed until the wound is completely healed.
- Patients are also suggested to not to indulge in any physical activity that requires high energy from them as it can result in bleeding. They must avoid such activities for 3 to 5 days after the tooth extraction has been completed.
- Dentists may prescribe some medication. It is suggested to take them as prescribed.
- In the case that the patient is experiencing some pain or swelling after the extraction process, applying cold packs can help to alleviate it. Painkillers can also be used but it is advised to consult your dentist prior to using them.
Dr London Provides Tooth Extractions in Boca Raton
Dr. London at the London Dental Group is the dentist to see for tooth extractions in Boca Raton. Dr London has years of experience performing tooth extractions and a variety of other general, preventative, and cosmetic dentistry procedures. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.