As we get a little older, our teeth begin to change and are prone to decay. There are many possible reasons for this change in your smile. These reasons can include bruxism (teeth grinding), general decay, cracked fillings, root canals, and many others. If your tooth is beyond repair with a filling material, we may recommend that the best viable option to save the tooth is a full crown. The reasons for this type of restoration in a badly damaged tooth are durability, cosmetic appearance, and overall support of the chewing function.
What is CEREC® 3D?
CEREC® 3D is an acronym for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. Translated, it means that we can economically restore damaged teeth in a single appointment using a high-quality ceramic material that matches the natural color of other teeth.
With no second visit there is:
- No second trip to my office
- No gloppy impression material
- No second visit shot to numb the teeth,
- No second uncovering of the prepared tooth structure, and
- No second visit trauma to the tooth from exposing, cleaning off temporary cement and irritating the pulp and nerve tissue a second time for permanent cementation.
How does the instrument work?
CEREC® 3D uses CAD/CAM (Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacturing) technology, incorporating a camera, computer and milling machine in one instrument. Dr. London uses a special camera to take an accurate picture of the damaged tooth. This optical impression is transferred and displayed on a color computer screen, where we use CAD technology to design the restoration. Then CAM takes over and automatically creates the restoration while the patient waits. Finally, Dr. London bonds the new restoration to the surface of the old tooth. The whole process takes about 90 minutes.
What does this innovation mean for a patient?
A tooth-colored restoration means no more silver-mercury fillings discoloring smiles. The filling is natural-looking, compatible with tissue in the mouth, anti-abrasive and plaque resistant. We no longer need to create temporaries or take impressions and send them to a lab. Because of this, the traditional second visit has been eliminated.
What Are the Advantages CEREC® 3D Offers? Inlay Onlay Crown
Dr. London can perform the restoration in a single session, usually in about one to two hour(s).
- No need to make an impression and send it to a lab
- No return visits for the patient
- The restoration is natural looking, as it is made out of tooth-colored ceramic material
- Ceramic material is bio compatible, high-grade, anti-abrasive and plaque-resistant.
- Metal-free — no silver-colored fillings.
- Allows us to save more of the healthy tooth
- Extremely precise
- CEREC® 3D has over a decade of clinical research and documentation to support the technology.